REFLECTOR: Emag/Pmag Reliability?

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 24 06:59:14 CST 2006

I am a EAA Technical Counselor for our EAA chapter.  One of our members is
building an RV-9 and had planned to use Pmags.  I told him that I thought
they were still having some reliability problems.  Any updates from any of
you using the Emag/Pmag?

He ran across the below note from Nick Ugolini, a LongEZ flyer.

Dear E-MAG,

After uneventful three hour cross country flight, my engine quit and would
not restart while taxing to the hangar.  The Lycoming engine has a
Lightspeed Electronic Ignition and a backup P-MAG for ignition.  When
tracking down the problem, I discovered I had wired both the P-MAG and the
Lightspeed to a shared common negative ground point.  The ground connection
was corroded thus allowing no ships power to flow to either ignition system.

After reflecting on my trip, I realized that at some point in the flight the
power had simultaneously failed to both ignition systems.  I had flown at
least two hours completely unaware the P-Mag was my only source of ignition.
Unlike the roughness of my previous magneto, the P-MAG causes no change in
smoothness or sense of lost power.  The engine quit only after the engine
rpm was reduced to a point where the P-MAG could no longer supply its own
internal power (per design).

With absolute certainty, I fully credit your P-MAG for saving my plane and
most likely my life.

Sincerely,

Nick Ugolini