REFLECTOR: Close Encounter

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Jan 23 12:50:56 CST 2006

Exactly, I was waiting for 9,500 before calling ABQ center for flight
following.  They lost radar on the inbound leg 30 minutes prior, when
descending through 9300 in about the same location.  Luke probably had
me on radar but thats not their area.

I was in a T210 and the wing was blocking my view of to the south.  He
was just coming out of that obstruction when I saw him.  The Velocity
offers much better visibility in flight.

I am also constantly amazed at how hard it is to see airplanes that are
within a mile of my position when traffic is quoted by ATC.  I don't
blame the other guy at all, he looked like he was paying attention. Just
looking level and forward at the time.   Now if he had been reaching
back to get a beer out of the cooler, well thats another story.

Scott