REFLECTOR: Paint question

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 09:45:33 CST 2006

We've agreed to buy the paint

from Akel Nobel which should eliminate any product compatibility issues.

Here's my question.  Cars normally get 3 coats of clear coat.  Any

opinions out there on how many coats is enuf for an airplane?  I hate to

add unnec weight.

Thanks,

Terry

Terry;

I have no idea about Akel-Nobel (never heard of it and can't find it on the
web); but the PPG paints all use 2-3 coats base and 2 coats clear.  So I'd
think 2 full coats clear should be fine.

I think it is a common misconception that the two-stage paints result in
more weight.  It is all about total thickness of the cured system.  With the
PPG I found that two base coats dried very thin (maybe 2-4 mils) and the
total with 2 full coats of clear was about 7-9 mils.  (I measured some
flakes off the adjacent vinyl fine-line tape.) IIRC, the recommended total
thickness for the single stage paints like Awl-grip and Emron is similar.

FWIW,

Al