REFLECTOR: Matco vs Cleveland

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 14 09:23:37 CST 2006

I have heard many things about the Brake comparison. Recently one Velocity
builder told me that Matco was sold some time back. That caused quite a few
problems in quality and customer service, so the old owners bought it back. I was
told that a set of Matcos was sent back, rebuilt/upgraded and now work fine.

I had not heard about the brake pad pain in the a$$ (PITA) and that sounds
like a bonus for Clevelands.

I also heard that the Cleveland kit was pretty spensive (considering I
haven't even used the brakes that I have yet)!.

I have the 173 Elite FG, and was wondering whether I really need to consider
some form of brake mod at this point. Either sending the Matcos back for an
upgrade, or switching to Clevelands.  I thought I recalled a Velocity factory
rep saying that the Matcos did well on the smaller airplane.
  It would be nice to have adequate braking since Im flying out of a high
density altitude airport, and only have 4300' of runway. But I dot want to spend
more time fixing things that aren't broken.

Any input?.

Kurt Winker
173 FGE
325 HP Alum. V-6 Chevy