REFLECTOR: Gear Alert

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Jan 8 10:04:50 CST 2006

I have been thinking about getting one of these Gear Alert devices
http://www.flyingsafer.com/2037.htm for my XLRG.  It is a ground proximity
sensor that will give you a voice alert in your headset if you are below 150
ft AGL and your gear is not down and locked.

Here's a $15 option.  Many builders install the so-called 'squat switch' to
prevent raising the gear when the plane is on the ground. It is a very
inexpensive pressure switch connected into the pitot line.  The trip point
of the switch is adjustable, and set to interrupt gear up circuit at
airspeeds less than landing speed.

Using a simple relay circuit, I wired mine to serve dual purpose; prevent
gear-up when on the ground, but to also sound the gear warning horn if
airspeed goes below approach speed, and the gear is still up.  Tests using a
water manometer show that the trip point is quite consistent (within a 5 kt
range).  Hasn't yet been tested in flight.

Or course the warning horn circuit has reset button for the times when you
are doing other slow speed maneuvers with gear up.

FWIW,

Al