REFLECTOR: Gear Alert

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 8 07:45:24 CST 2006

Darrel,

A couple of suggestions:

Pick a place where you ALWAYS put the gear down.  I use abeam of the field on downwind and 5 mile final when on approaches.

Then ALWAYS check for green lights on short final.  Say it out loud, "2 greens, cleared to land".

Lastly, when things aren't going according to plan - i.e.. a surprise in the pattern, a gusty day, somebody cutting you off on final, confusing instructions from the tower, etc. plan to do a go around unless you have convinced yourself that the gear is really down.

But the best way to prevent a gear up landing is to have the kind of gear that are permanently down and welded!

Ronnie