REFLECTOR: What would you do - not do?

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 21:35:22 CST 2006

I found a cheep way to make a 96" long 1 1/2" diameter sanding tube. When
you are building your canard you are told to sand the 1 1/2" radius on the
rear of your canard where your elevators mount, with a 1 1/2 shipping tube
or something suitable. I found that finding something 1 1/2" OD that was
straight and didn't cost an arm and a leg was a tall order. What I
discovered was that a fluorescent light bulb (5.95) was exactly 1 1/2" OD
and about as straight as you can find. I attached my 80 grit sand paper with
double backed carpet tape. I know that this sounds fragile, but what I have
found is that the sandpaper helps to protect the bulb. I also have found
that because it is so light, you have better control over how much foam you
are removing, helping you to find the high spots.

Andy Ellzey