REFLECTOR: What would you do - not do?

Joe Ewen jewen at comporium.net
Mon Feb 27 21:13:36 CST 2006

Welcome Steve,
You have already received many great techniques.  One of the greatest is
preweting your lay-ups on plastic, I find .003 PE sheet to work the best.
Not including wings, 90% of my glass work used this technique.  I would like
to add a few suggestions that I did not see previously mentioned.

*** Do Not trust the factory cut lines, triple check them.  My worst
example: I bought my kit second hand and did not like the condition of 2
strake panels.  I bought replacements.  The replacements had cut lines
marked  in the vicinity of the fuselage joint, one line was off by 4" to 5"
at one end.  Had I cut anywhere close to the factory line, I would have been
buying another strake panel.
* In areas of multiple lay-ups (example gear area) try to make all lay-ups
at the same, saves a lot of sanding between lay-ups.
* Try to get copies of past velocity view newsletters.  I found a lot of
great ideas and clarifications in them.
* I agree with statements about avoiding modifications, one mod I would
suggest was called "The great big hatch." (appeared in one of the Velocity
Views)  I think this one is well worth the effort.
* During strake construction there is a requirement to invert the fuselage
(instructions circa 1995.)  I developed a technique that does not require
flipping the fuselage.  Tanks were leak free, passed a 24 hour balloon leak
test (balloon burst after 24 hours due to OAT temp rise.)  When you are
ready to do your stakes let me know if you would like the procedure.

Hope this helps and happy building,
Joe