REFLECTOR: What would you do - not do?

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Sun Feb 26 11:08:30 CST 2006

Ron Brown wrote:

> 2 - Commit to the building process.  You'll need to set a building
> schedule - stick to it.  The only way you will complete your airplane is
> to work on it every day - or every week.  It is too easy to say "I'll
> get back on it next week or next month".  Next thing you know, it has
> been sitting in the corner, collecting dust after several months of
> inactivity.

I've pretty much committed to a long building schedule to avoid AIDS.

> 3 - Get a ride every once in a while to keep the juices flowing!  I'd be
> happy to fly over and check your project out (I am an EAA Technical
> Counselor) from time to time.

I can't turn that down! There is actually another Velocity builder on
the airstrip where I live (Vlad Oleynik) by coincidence.

> 4 - There's a lot of neat tricks for working with fiberglass and epoxy.
> I picked up several during a 2 hour Sun-n-Fun fiberglass workshop put on
> by SportAir.  Like:

Two weeks ago I took the EAA 2 day workshop on composites. It went a long
way to making me confident about my technique.

>   d - make sure the shop is at least 70 degrees.  The Velocity supplied
> epoxy is a slow setting, long pot life epoxy.  It won't harden if the
> temp is below 70 degrees.  You can use heat lamps or temporary
> enclosures to heat the lay up for 24 hours.  The typical cure rate seems
> to be three days before it really gets hard.  Within this three days,
> you can heat it up and change the shape somewhat.

I'm actually in the process of putting a 2nd floor in the back 1/3rd of
my hangar to do the building. I'm going to heat and a/c it so that the
building conditions are tolerable.

> Have fun.  If you get stumped, ASK!!!  There are no dumb questions!  The
> factory and Reflector are here to help you!!!!!!!!!  By the way, what
> are you building?

I'll be certain to have questions once the real work starts.
I've ordered an XL-5 RG, may as well go for it if you're going to go.

--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531