REFLECTOR: GRT TECHNOLOGY

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Sat Feb 25 00:28:40 CST 2006

I have owned my GRT EFIS now for a good two  years and I love it.  I have
also installed one in another plane we had.  I have a number of stories but
as far as problems, I have had very little.  I also visited the factory in
Michigan a year and half ago.  They now have moved to a larger facility.  I
can't understand some of the problems others have had.  I have had only one
hardware problem since I bought it and they took care of that in 48 hours.
No questions asked.

After installing a couple of these units I think it's one of the easiest
units out there to install.  The learning curve can get on overload when you
first get it.  But within about 25 hours I was use to it.

Just this week they came out with terrain in the GPS mode.  This I have been
waiting for a good year.  I have yet to fly with it because I just
interfaced a VAL VOR to it.  Haven't got my canard back on yet. Hopefully I
will be flight testing it tomorrow.

The GRT EFIS has an ARINC 429 interface to a number of other components to
operate.  As well XM weather and GTX330 traffic input.  I'm driving my auto
pilot through the GRT with a Smart coupler to the STEC 30.  They primarily
are set up to drive a Tru-Trac autopilot because it can be driven digitally.
The STEC can't.  You can select witch to drive either GPS 1or 2 or NAV 1or
2.

It has a RS232 interface to the GTX330 for gray code information so no need
for a separate encoder.  Just a single wire and not ten.  A single wire to
the EIS as well for data to the EFIS.

During an actual IFR condition flight one night during a bad rain storm I
ended up using the EFIS using the HITS approach boxes to get me on the ILS
and it brought right in better then the needles I think. Tie this into the
A/P, now having vertical nav it can fly you right to the runway and it will
capture at better then 45 degrees.  Once you get use to it, you never want
to go back.  The HITS " highway in the sky", boxes now can be brought up to
20 miles out before your final waypoint.  This is great because before I had
to wait till eight miles.  Once the autopilot locks you in the boxes it's
going to fly you to the runway. It's great.

Another neat feature is you can fly it using a split frame.  This is the way
I use mine.  I have the PFD and the moving map set up most of the time.  If
I'm concerned with an engine data point I go to the engine page.

The EIS interfaced to the EFIS is good too.  You can see all this during
anytime during the flight as well as record it onto a memory stick that
plugs into the back of the PFD. I don't mount my EIS in the instrument panel
because I have a JPI.  I mounted it on the canard and pipe it to the EFIS.
I record my approaches to see how well I've done.  I would like to see them
record the last 30 minutes of flight time anyway and drop off any time
before this.  This way if there was a crash they would have the last 30
minutes to determine what happen. I think they are working on this.  They
take suggestions real well.
Believe me, after you get your unit up and running and get use to it, you'll
be enjoying very much.  I only wish I had room for another screen. But right
now I don't want to do any more mods to the panel. This would be major.  For
the cost there is none finer.
If you have any question while installing it, give me a call.  I think I
could answer most of them.
Dave