REFLECTOR: Cowl flaps better oil temps

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 11:04:18 CST 2006

The butterfly valve is just an example. If you are still in the build phase
as I am, you could recess a hinged flap in the floor of the NACA scoop that
would be flush when retracted. The whole point of cowl flaps is to have
control of your air volume for different flying conditions. I don't have
access to a wind tunnel to test for the correct location of adjustable VG's
to change the laminar flow into our NACA scoops. If your aircraft can
maintain normal operating temperatures (cylinder head and oil temps) and oil
pressure without cowl flaps, then they wouldn't be needed.

Again my thoughts your airplane not all cases are the same.

Andy Ellzey