REFLECTOR: Cowl flaps better oil temps

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 10:47:38 CST 2006

 As  stated my Textron Lycoming operators manual for O-540 and IO-540 states that Max never exceed red line cyl head temp is 500 deg F (260 C). For maximum service life cylinder head temps should be maintained below 435 deg F (224 C) during high performance cruse operation and below 400 deg F (205 C) for economy cruse.

Also stated in this same manual, Oil pressure normal operation for all models has a max pressure of 95lbs. Minimum of 55lbs. Idling pressure of 25, and start and warm-up of 115lbs.

The maximum permissible oil temperature is 245 F (118C). For maximum engine life, desired oil temperature should be maintained between 165 F (73.8C) and 200 F (93.3C) in level flight cruse.

More food for thought,

Andy Ellzey