REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Feb 21 12:44:21 CST 2006

Al,

Here's another way to look at the spring problem,  The spring is trimmed 1-2
inches down for take off.  This basically gives you zero stick force for
rotation.  If you remove the spring (extreme situation to illustrate the
point), then you will have to pull back as hard on the stick as you would if
the trim had run away to the down position.

So, with your weakened/cut back spring, you're going to have to pull harder
than with the normal spring for take off.

Ron;

I may be missing something here; but I don't see that the force in that case
would be the same as pulling against the spring from a full down trim
condition.

Get 'er flying and let us know how it does.

But I do agree that this is the thing to do.  Unfortunately the plane is on
hold for about a month for other things, so it won't get to the airport
before then.

Thanks,

Al