REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Feb 19 17:27:20 CST 2006

If you perceive there is a pitch trim problem - and are not yet flying -

please build your aircraft per the plans - do not make any

"improvements" - to not trim the spring - just follow the recommended

instructions - and then enjoy flying your Velocity.  If there are

problems with the pitch trim system (and I don't think there will be any

problems) bring it up at that time.  Until then, please don't fret or go

re-inventing the wheel.

My thoughts.

SB

Scott;

I'm sure you are right about this, but I'd like your thoughts on one
particular issue.  I found that without narrowing the stock trim spring, it
was not reasonably possible to pull the stick back far enough to effect a
safe landing (my criteria was 2 or more inches trailing edge down); in the
event that the trim adjustment was stuck at full 'down' trim (trailing edge
up).  As evidenced last week, this is a condition that can happen.

Perhaps I just didn't apply the 'adrenaline' factor that would occur in an
actual situation:-).  Or perhaps the current stock springs aren't as stiff
as the one I got nearly 10 years ago.

Thanks,

Al