REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 19:13:09 CST 2006

Hello Al,
You are correct.  The amount of 'up' deflection depends upon each of
these items - plus the incidense angle of the canard, if VG's are being
used, etc.
Still - on average - it has been my experience that the elevators are in
a slightly reflex position during cruise - despite all of these factors.
During cruise (and this differs of course between FG and RG models)
expect to see the elevators in a slight reflex position (less than 1" of
trailing edge up).  Heavily loaded, the elevators will be near neutral
or in a slightly reflex position.  I have seen the elevators in a slight
down position (less than 0.5") in situations with extreme forward CG.
The slower the air speed the lower the elevator trim setting.
SB