REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 13:22:33 CST 2006

Joel, it's not recommended that you block air scoops to get your oil temp
up, especially ones that also cool your cylinders. Assuming your using a
Lyco or Continental, they normally come with an oil temp control valve
(Veritherm) that keeps the oil above (about) 160degF . It works the same as
a thermostat in your car. Once the oil temp in the engine gets to 160F, it
starts to open. At about 180F it is wide open allowing all the oil to go to
the oil cooler. You need to measure oil temp inside the engine, not at the
oil cooler. You really don't want to run your engine at 80F oil temp. As a
minimum, it should be 140F.

With the front oil cooler on the Velocity, sometimes there won't be much
heat coming out of the heater ducts when it's very cold outside, so you need
to use other means to stay warm. You can pipe air over the exhaust pipe and
into the cabin like most small aircraft do. You can use a separate circuit
using hot engine oil thru a oil cooler inside the cabin with a fan. You can
use an electric heater with a fan. You can use a 12 volt electric blanket.
You can wear thermal underwear and battery heated socks and gloves. I'm sure
there are many more options out there.

I do know people who partially block the entrance to the oil cooler only
during the winter, but that's a trial and error system, plus during hard
climbs, you run the risk of over temping. Have fun.

Chuck H