REFLECTOR: Pitch Cycling (was Pitch Trim Mystery)

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 14:08:43 CST 2006

I posted a query a while back about cycling. Flying
solo and trimmed for level flight, my XLRG has a
tendency to cycle in pitch. It can settle into 2
minute cycles with an amplitude of +/- 100'. With two
people up front this cycling tendency goes away. My CG
is comparable the most XL's.

What's interesting is that the refecltor replies at
the time reported negative cycling. I've since spoken
to multiple fliers who do experience pitch cycling.
I'm still curious if anyone has been able to combat
this by means other than using the auto pilot or
adding ballast up front.

Pat