REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 12:34:06 CST 2006

Hello John,
Removing the sparrow strainer will cause the pitch control motion to become
more sensitive - but not to the point of instability.
I'm not sure of the aircraft's behavior if the sparrow strainer were
reversed - thinking about it, the upward lifting of the strainer will lend
itself to favor nose pitch down - which left unchecked will result in
greater air speed - which gives more power to the sparrow strainer - which
causes the nose to pitch down some more --- I suppose at some point, the
pitch spring will halt this cycle of events.
SB