REFLECTOR: Cell Phone Weather

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Feb 16 09:16:55 CST 2006

I finally entered the 12st century and bought a web enabled phone, the
RAZr V3c

I first tried WxServer, its $5 a month but requires me to enable a data
service on the phone for an additional $5 so the total was $10.  I had
all kinds of problems which they blamed on the newness of the RAZr(over
one year old), then blamed on Verizon.  Its a one dog and pony show so
its probably hard for him to keep up.

I then tried a free trial of Pilot Mycast, which Verizon offers on what
they call VCast for $10 a month, no data service needed.  It worked out
of the box and offered much more in the way of maps than WxServer.  I
subscribed the Pilot MyCast.

I've used it at every airport I've been at, no problems and in the air.
In the air is problematic in the mountain west. I'd say I can get on 75%
of the time when far from anywhere at altitude. Its probably phone
related and if I had an external antenna might work even better. Its a
great tool for pre-flighting on the ramp.

Scott