REFLECTOR: Using 28 volt Alternator on 14 volt system

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Wed Feb 15 10:40:40 CST 2006

Scott,

My understanding is that the voltage regulator controls the voltage (makes
sense!)  Since it is rated at 75 amps at 28 volts, power wise it should be
able to do 150 amps at 14 volts (same power wattage).  Sounds like a hefty
alternator!

I have seen a 28v alternator on a 14 volt Cessna with a 14 volt regulator.
Worked fine.

Ronnie