REFLECTOR: DH engine vs. Velocity Beauty

Alex Balic alex157 at pwhome.com
Tue Feb 14 19:09:09 CST 2006

Hi Rene,

The only problem that I see with any supercharger application is the fact
that the ratio of SC RPM to Engine RPM  is fixed- this is fine for vehicles
that operate at or near the same density altitude (boats, cars) , but for
aircraft, you then need to dump most of the output air at low altitude,
progressively using more and more until the supercharger 's full output is
utilized at some high altitude- just seems to be a waste of energy/fuel  for
most operations- the turbo is throttled constantly to provide the required
manifold pressure at all altitudes up to its full output (waste gate closed)
- but you are right, it is a big source of heat- I have mine just under the
pilot side NACA where it will get plenty of cooling air.. the big advantage
of superchargers over turbos is the lack of pressure lag, but since we are
not usually stomping on the throttle, it should not make much difference

Alex

  _____