REFLECTOR: PROBLEM SOLVED

Larry Parham larry062851 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 22:17:28 CST 2006

My Velocity/Franklin that I bought last year has had low RPM surging and not
enough static RPM
Also I had to use Carb Heat to start.  After 6 months of trying everything I
happen to notice that the CARB number MA-5 (10-5043) that was on my plane
was not the number the service manual said to use.
Richard Ring who owns a Velocity/Franklin was also having carb problems and
after he had it rebuilt he allowed me to test it on my plane.  His carb
works perfect on my plane.
The carburetor was supplied by Goodman, alone with other accy. so I would
suggest you look closely at your MA-5 and determine for yourself if your
carb is working properly.  The original builder never new he had a problem
It seems to work ok with the IVO, with the variable pitch prop, but I do not
think it does.  When you install a Catto it does not develop enough RPM.
Hope this will help someone else.
Thanks for the REFLECTOR and Richard Ring.  Without support I may never have
found the problem
I now need to buy a MA-5 (10-4865) if any one has one for sale. Or should I
research a Throttle Body      again thanks