REFLECTOR: DH engine vs. Velocity Beauty

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 18:12:36 CST 2006

Steve,

 I too was concerned about High DA takeoffs here in NM. Without taking up too
much reflector room, you have lots of options. I am finishing up my 340
HP,4.3L V-6 Chevy install in my 173 FGE.

 I have two XL sized top NACA scoops, but I also have one underneath that
feeds the lower radiator. In the FG, it is very easy to build a NACA underneath
in the center, and have the aircraft stronger than it was without the NACA.
My lower NACA feeds the lower radiator, acts like a ram scoop in climb, and
like a regular naca once you roll it over to cruise.

If you need any more info, feel free to ask. On the reflector if people dont
mind reading all this, or by my private E-mail if you care to.

Best of luck

Kurt Winker
NMFlyer1 at aol.com

Thanks Richard, looks like the IO-390-X will be a good 2nd choice for me.

Steve, my reason for being interested in the DH is that home elevation is
5000MSL, and having 100% power for take-off and upto 16K is a real bonus.
For my SEFG kit I ordered the large fuel caps as an option to allow for
flexibility. Do you happen to know if the production Deltahawk fitting will
use the NACA roof ducts or is it still going to use the bottom air scoop? Do
they have a firewall package available at the moment?

I am sure a lot of these questions will have been ironed out by the time I
come to make a firm engine choice, but I plan on keeping all options open
from the start.

Steve.