REFLECTOR: DH engine vs. Velocity Beauty

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sun Feb 12 22:48:35 CST 2006

The DeltaHawk "A"-series or "inverted V" will fit in the standard cowl
designed for an IO-360.  That will take care of the top cowl modification.
However, it is not yet available.  In all likelihood, this will be an option
by the time you need an engine.

The consideration of the cooling scoops is a tougher problem.  It's in the
very nature of compression-ignition engines that they run hotter and have
more significant cooling requirements.  See, for example, the air intake for
the C-182 STC installation of the SMA SR305-230 turbo-diesel.  It's HUGE.
>From what I know, you will need a big scoop to keep a diesel happy.  (The
original SMA was liquidated last year after losing $millions$ trying to
solve the technical and marketing problems of putting their turbo-diesel
into planes.  The engine is coming back to market under SAFRAN Group, see
www.smaengines.com.  So far, it looks like DeltaHawk is having better luck!)

Keith Hallsten