REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strainer

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 4 14:49:17 CST 2006

Thanks Pat....

That's a great explanation.....

Best... Steve

----Original Message Follows----
From: Pat Shea <xl340hp at yahoo.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strainer
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:26:24 -0800 (PST)

Hmmm,

There seems to be some confusion on this issue. The
fact that Steve completely altered the design and
function of of his "sparrow strainer" and turned it
into an "aerodynamic trim tab" isn't helping, but I'm
glad it's working for him.

For everyone else using it in it's original design
configuration...

Probably the easiest way to analyze the function of
the "sparrow strainer" is to take it and the trim
spring out of the picture. In that scenario, at high
cruise speed the pilot would need to press forward
(hard) on the stick to maintain level flight. Now add
on the sparrow strainer which will be pulling down on
the trailing edge of the elevator with its inverted
airfoil and negative incidence relative to the
elevator, and the pilot has to push forward even
harder. Yes, it's actually working against you at high
cruise speeds. The pitch trim spring simply replaces
this force required by the pilot. Therefore, the pitch
trim spring has to work harder at high cruise speeds
with the sparrow strainer installed.

Here comes the purpose...

Since the pitch trim spring is working harder, it is
further "pre-loaded." This gives the stick a heavier
(or stiffer, or whatever...) feel in pitch at high
cruise speeds. This higher pre-loading of the pitch
trim spring also makes the elevator (and therefore the
plane) less susceptible to pitch deviations from
turbulence, etc.

What's all this mean? If you are prefer heavier stick
forces at cruise and a little more stability, use the
sparrow strainer. If you prefer lighter stick forces
at cruise and are willing to forgo a little stability,
take it off or even turn it into an aerodynamic
trim...

Pat