REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strainer

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 4 07:54:58 CST 2006

More trim "info" from something I saved from Mike Pollack a while back:

"The sparrow strainer has negative lift by design.  As the airspeed
increases, the sparrow strainer tries to pull the aft side of the elevator
down causing the nose of the airplane to rise which slows the airspeed. It
works in relation with the fixed trim system to give a wider trim range
airspeed without retrimming manually.  It also seems to keep the canard more
stable in level flight. I have flown with and without one and prefer the
sparrow strainer."

And to add fair and balanced coverage, here is what Steve Korney had to say:

"My sparrow strainer works as a trim tab...The faster I go, the more it
pushes the elevator up, keeping the nose down...My sparrow strainer has a
positive incidents of about 15 degrees...That is, the cord line angles up
from the trailing edge to the leading edge...Are we all confused...???"

Yep,
Ronnie