REFLECTOR: New velocity builder setting up shop.

Randy Wharton rwharton at buckeye-express.com
Wed Feb 1 15:19:37 CST 2006

I think that if you clean your parts with denatured alcohol before
you do layups, you shouldn't have any problems with any minute oil
that might have gotten on the parts. I don't use an in-line oiler on
my compressor, but I do put a couple of drops directly into my tools
every now and then. I haven't lost a tool to fiberglass dust yet, and
I haven't noticed any oily residue on the plane, either.

One thing you might want to consider is how much capacity your
compressor has versus how much your tool uses. I have an 11 gallon
tank which should be fine for almost everything. But when I got my
random orbital sander goes, it's consumption rate is really high. I
should have gotten one that requires less air. I can't run it more
than about 5 seconds before my compressor kicks back in. And after a
minute or so, I have to stop and let the compressor catch up.

I personally use nitrile gloves when I'm sanding/grinding. They're
kind of like latex, but more breathable. They fit snugly and you get
to where you don't even notice you have them on. They're about $13
for a box of 100 at my industrial supply house.

When I'm doing layups, I usually don't wear gloves, and I don't have
a problem with itching since I'm dealing with long fibers. But if you
sand or grind, wear gloves and maybe even long sleeves; itching can
drive you nuts. The small particles will get in between your fingers,
which is the worst for me. But when I do get an itch between fingers,
I have found the best way to get rid of it (after washing thoroughly
with Fast Orange) is to pull it out with duct tape. The adhesive does
a pretty good job of grabbing onto the unseen particles and pulling
them out when you rip the tape off.

Have fun building!

Randy Wharton
N248RB XL/RG