REFLECTOR: Elevator Trim Spring

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Feb 1 09:08:24 CST 2006

I can see how he might need more travel.

As my trim is set up, I have just enough down trim to cruise at 65%
power with just me in the front. If its bumpy I don't have enough, I
have to constantly give it a shove forward  or use George. If have two
in the front I don't have enough up trim for a hands off 90 knot
approach, just me its fine.    If I fix it so I can fly a 90 knot
approach hands off with two, I'd loose my  hands off cruise trim setting.

So as Scott B. said, I could possibly stiffen up the spring, I don't
like this option because  I think it would be hard enough trying to fly
it with an inoperative trim system as it is, any stiffer and I'd be out
of muscle pretty fast.   Or I could use a trim actuator with more
travel. I had not considered that  and will have to think about it.

However I do like the design of the Strong Pitch Trim system and would
welcome the added space behind the panel if I removed the fiberglass
spring trim system.  Strong now has a PWM controller for his trim system
for fine pitch adjustments at fast speeds. A problem I partially solved
on the original system with a electric brake.

Scott