No subject

Sun Dec 17 12:52:53 CST 2006

for others who have had less than satisfactory business dealings with
BMA, the search should be short and very productive.

Chuck Jensen

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Tom Martino
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 12:14 AM
To: Velocity List
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS

Alex,

It pissed me off when I found out the "Gold Box" is limited.  However,
even with its limits it does a great job.  BUT ... I still feel
abandoned.

Greg is very casual about the fact that the board manufacturer is "out
of business".

II realize this happens with a  lot of technology (early adopters are
often screwed).

HOWEVER ... What makes this case DIFFERENT is that BMA mislead us into
believing our "gold boxes" would be upgradeable with software.

So, here is my proposal ... get me names and contact information of
early adopters who feel they were mislead and I will pursue a class
action law suit for the sole purpose of getting us newer units.  We may
have to chip in a few bucks for expenses ... but I will not charge any
legal fees.

I was going to this before ... but I did not want to do it for just
myself.

My email:  tmartino at troubleshooter.com  (I am used to fights like this
... TRUST ME).

Tom Martino

On 4/22/07 8:46 PM, "Alex" <alex157 at pwhome.com> wrote:

> [...]
> would be software upgradeable to keep it fairly current- the only
upgrades I
> have heard anyone getting from Blue Mountain have been related to map
> currency or problem fixes. - they claimed when I ordered and paid for
mine
> that it would eventually  display WX-500 data, and current weather,
and in
> the future, and that they were working out how to display traffic. I
> received mine in Feb of 2006- not too long ago- it is the older style
with
> the separate gold box- new units have everything built into the
display
> unit- I was watching Greg do his schpeal and noticed that the new
units have
> a USB port on the front- so I just asked how exactly I get my updates
via
> the internet so get current with the software- he determined that I
have a
> G2 unit (not sure what happened to G3) and that the technology in that
box
> is 10 years old, and NOT Upgradeable, in fact, I found out that the
> manufacturer of the board is no longer in business, so I am not sure
how
> long they will be able to support it if there is a physical problem. I
did
> find out that I can get a basic terrain view, but it is on only a
single
> pre-set scale- I was a bit shocked about this since I have flown with
a $200
> PDA that had fully scaleable mapping, in fact it would auto-zoom when
you
> reached your destination so you can see where you are in the airport
> environment. Greg just said repeatedly " it does exactly what it did
when
> you bought it" and it isn't his fault that the features like WX-500
display
> (dropped apparently due to lack of interest) and weather depiction are
never
> going to be available on a "gold box" unit, nor is map scaling.
> The second day, I went to visit with them after sleeping on this, and
spoke
> with Larry and Sheila about this situation, since Greg was not there
when I
> arrived- they got pretty agitated with me even asking about this
subject and
> gave me a "too bad for you" kind of response- even asked me if I had
asked
> anyone at blue mountain specifically if the maps zoomed  before I
bought it
> and thereby if they had lied about that- my response was that I did
not ask
> because it is such a basic function of having a moving map that I
would not
> even think to ask- kind of like asking of the radio in your new
Mercedes
> receives FM signals- not to mention that EVERY other moving map
company
> represented at SNF - and there were a lot of them - had zoom- and lots
of
> other features not present on the $15k Blue mountain-   they just kept
> saying that the hardware in the gold box is 10 old technology,(despite
the
> fact that I had it only 14 months),  that not physically upgradeable
(non-
> socketed processor and memory) and it was too slow to allow for map
zooming.

> My main reason to buy their box was the fact that the magic internal
> workings were software related and would be regularly upgraded as new
> features became available, I believe that this was the basis of their
> sales
> pitch- at least it was to me-  I know I was promised WX display and
WSI