REFLECTOR: Elite Door guides

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 26 15:21:05 CST 2006

Hi Andy,

I did a lot of tweaking (most of it unsuccessful) on
the doors to make them fit well. Initially, my gas
springs were installed in the original configuration
which caused top aft part of the doors to bulge and
the bottoms to move aft. I switched to an over-center
design similar to the current manual configuration
which eliminated the bulge on top but left me with the
bottom of the doors pushed forward.

It's been a long time, but I recall then needing to
realign the doors so that they fit well with the gas
springs installed. Essentially, I biased the door
bottoms aft knowing the springs would kick them
forward. This meant they doors didn't fit well without
the springs. I either shimmed, bent, or re-potted the
hinges - probably all three...

If the bottom of the doors are slightly aft (w/ the
springs on), the part of the strake that attaches to
the fuselage can be used as a guide. I use the same
tape Kurt refers to below which I bought from ACS.

Finally, don't even consider fine tuning your door
operation until your engine is hung as this will have
an effect. Don't ask me how I know...

Pat