REFLECTOR: VNE and TAS (was Canard - good news)

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 13:22:49 CST 2006

Mike,

I'm certainly not a aerodynamic engineer. The article
seems to imply that flutter is tied to TAS vs. IAS -
"the velocity of the excitation force is the prime
concern, not the magnitude."

When about talking structural limits of the plane
(like the wings ripping off or the winglets folding
in), I don't see any question that IAS is the limiting
factor.

That all being said, if flutter is more a function of
TAS than IAS, then it seems like one should be able to
do disciplined flutter testing to set the flutter VNE
(in TAS).

Pat