REFLECTOR: Prop

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 21:10:01 CST 2006

Larry,

You are quite right, but I have not yet started flying. So... I had to start
somewhere. Since my situation is quite a bit different from a direct drive
aircraft engine setup, Think I'll be just fine.

My (self imposed) max RPM is 5000 at the engine, and that will only be used
occasionally.
That RPM gives the prop speed of 2940.  My whole requirement was to find out
if I could use my takeoff RPM/Power without breaking the speed of sound. I
think I have that requirement.

My cruise RPM will be quite different, about 3400-3700 Engine RPM (my best
guess at this point). That would give me a prop RPM of about 2000-2300 at the
prop. Since I have a pitch range of 65-105, I can crank in a lot of bite, and
use the huge amount of torque I have.

I will use your numbers to double check things, and I appreciate the extra
info!
Always fun to see how close paper numbers get to reality.

Onward.   Kurt