REFLECTOR: Prop

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 17:18:03 CST 2006

Kurt,

Your calculations work with the brakes locked.  See the below to calculate
tip speed in motion.  Also note that you should never exceed .85 mach
because the airflow over the air foil of the prop will put you over mach
1.0.

Larry Coen

N136LC

TIP SPEED

Anytime the aircraft is in motion (and the propeller is turning, of course)
the path of the tip of a prop blade through the air is a helix, and
therefore, it's velocity (the "tip speed") is the vector sum of the
rotational velocity plus the translational velocity, or the helical tip
velocity (explained in detail below).

Maximum helical tip velocity is an important parameter for propeller
selection. In the absence of specific data from the prop manufacturer, it is
safe to assume that (a) the maximum prop efficiency will be about 87% (for
any metal prop a non-governmental agency can afford), and (b) that the prop
efficiency begins to decrease dramatically when the prop is operated at a
helical tip velocity in excess of 0.85 Mach. That occurs because the local
air velocity over the surface of the prop (near the point of maximum airfoil
thickness) will reach Mach 1, and create a shock wave, separating the flow
and dissipating prop energy.

That phenomenon is very easy to spot in a high speed aircraft which has the
capacity to run the prop too fast. Here is an example. A few years ago, I
was flying a Glasair-3 to an airshow. I was cruising at 13,000 feet, 2400
RPM, wide open throttle. I was running a bit behind schedule, so in pursuit
of a few more knots, I decided to operate at max power (2700 RPM, WOT). It
was something of a surprise when I lost about 15 knots of airspeed. I set
the RPM back to 2400, and regained the lost 15 knots. Later I did the
calculations to verify that the loss was due to the sudden loss of
efficiency. It was.

It is actually quite simple to do the arithmetic necessary to determine the
tip Mach of a prop at a given RPM and true airspeed. First, calculate the
helical tip velocity components.

The rotational velocity is the diameter of the prop times the RPM times a
conversion factor. Again using KTAS as the unit of speed, the rotational
velocity in feet per second is:

           Vr (ft / sec) 60),    or

           Vr (ft / sec)
The translational velocity is simply the aircraft TAS expressed in feet per
second, or:

           Vt (ft / sec)
With the rotational and translational speed (in the same units, of course)
you can easily calculate the helical tip speed:

           Vht
Next, calculate the speed of sound (Mach 1.0). The speed of sound in air
varies with the square root of absolute temperature ONLY, as defined by the
following equation:

           Vs
where k, g and R are constants (1.4, 32.17 and 53.34 for air) and T is the
absolute temperature (°F + 460) of the surrounding air.

So, if you are at 13,000 feet on a standard day, the air temperature is
12.71 °F and the speed of sound (in feet per second) is:

           Vs1            Vs1
The Mach number of a given speed is simply:

Putting it all together in a specific example, suppose you are flying at
13,000 feet on a standard day at a true airspeed of 240 knots and an 84-inch
prop turning at 2700 RPM. Here is how to calculate your prop-tip Mach (using
the simple equations above):

           Vr            Vt            Vht            Tip Mach