REFLECTOR: Prop

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 14:04:20 CST 2006

Since I have a unique setup, I needed to adress the prop-tip speed as well.
My high HP engine, lots of torque and the redrive complicated things.

Since I had it.. I thought I would pass along the quick and easy formula to
find tip speed for those that need it:

Dia. of prop (in feet) x 3.14 x RPM of the prop. Divide that total by 88 =
tip speed.

For reference, speed of sound at sea level is 761 MPH.

In my case, a max takeoff engine RPM would be 5000, which gives me 2940 Prop
RPM.

my 76" prop = 6.333' x 3.14 = 58463.722 over 88 = 664 MPH.

To find the max RPM you can turn a prop (withought breaking the speed of
sound):

66,984 Divided by (the distance,in feet, your prop travels in 1 RPM)

Ex: 66,984 over 18.84' (72" prop) = 3555 RPM Max.

My case would be: 66984 over 19.896 = 3366 RPM Max prop speed (5722 eng RPM).

Hope it helps.

Kurt

In a message dated 12/16/2006 9:06:43 AM Mountain Standard Time,