REFLECTOR: Sniffer valve for Fuel Injected Lycomings (was Idle Adjustment)

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Thu Dec 7 13:27:12 CST 2006

Mack Murphy wrote:
<snip>
>I hope all the folks with LYC.none vertical mounted fuel servo have
installed sniffer check drain at the bottom of your intake manifold and the
ball is closed when the engine is running.
<snip>

Mack, or Sid, or other knowledgeable person:

Please explain this in more detail.  What is the function of the sniffer
check valve?

I am not flying (or even running the engine) as yet, but I have the Bendix
fuel servo mounted on a 100-degree angle adaptor from Airflow Performance,
which is in turn mounted to the sump of the IO-540-D.  Thus, the airflow
through the servo will be nearly horizontal.  Exactly what is the 'sniffer
check valve' and where is it to be installed?  Where would I get one?

Thanks in advance,

Keith Hallsten
Roseville, CA