REFLECTOR: Brake Shudder

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Thu Dec 7 13:21:50 CST 2006

I believe the reason that brake rotors are intentionally left rough after
they are "turned" (ground flat) is to make the brake pad material conform to
the rotor shape. In other words, so that you get the full area of the brake
pad onto the rotor. This is why they tell you to turn your brake rotors to
remove the glaze when you change brake pads. Blanchard grinding of the
rotors should leave them with a rough enough surface that you shouldn't need
to sand them afterwards. They use this type of grinding for flywheels so
that the clutch plate will "seat" to the flywheel and pressure plate without
chattering. Same principle.

Someone also told me that brake dust can build up in the rivet holes of the
brake pads and cause chattering (shudder), so clean them out and fill them
with epoxy (?), or something similar to prevent trapping the brake dust.
When I replace a  rotor (warped), the pad rivet holes were full of brake
dust. I don't know if this is true, but it could be.

Chuck H