REFLECTOR: Velocity SE wing vs. Long-EZ wing

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Wed Dec 6 13:47:08 CST 2006

I just got off the phone with one of my buddies down at Scaled. He's been there from the start. We talked about this subject.  I have had the LongEZ and the CozyIV and the Velocity.
I have worked all styles of the Velocity.  All but the VeryEZ mount the wings the same.  Just the spar design had changed. From box to web design on the Velocity.  The airfoils on the LongEZ and the Cozy's are the same. Nat Puffer pays the roylities on it.  The Velocitys changed a lot and still needs help.  But I dough if that will ever happen.  The canard has changed the most on all of them.
The EZ and the Cozy's are Eppler airfoils,GU canards. The first airfoil on the VeryEZ came from Dale(Bob)Reed of NASA the lifting body engineer.  Burt tried for a number of days to get his off the ground before Dale had him change to the GU. Then it got off the ground. This flew for a number of years with great success.
Later the Roncz RII45MS came out for the LongEZ and man what a difference.  Less rain effect with the RII45MS. Very high lift. The MS stands for Mike and Sally, Mevill that is.  This is one of the biggest problems that cause the deep stalls. The wing would stall before the canard.  So it's mandatory to install the vortilons.  Don't fly without them if using this airfoil on the canard.
For less drag a canard with the Roncz design having dihedral in it gave less airframe drag.  This done,would allow smoother air flow over the wings allowing less turbulence to destroy lift.  This is why some EZ guys have bent front wings. Also the nose doesn't slam down when out of airspeed  but it does come down a lot faster on touch down. You gain some airspeed out of it as well.  Not much but if you are a racer every knot counts. Don't even think about changing the Velocity wings or canard without consulting Velocity, this would be very bad, and puts you very deep water without a life vest.
Dave

From: "Andy Millin" <amillin at sbcglobal.net>