REFLECTOR: Exhaust questions

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Fri Dec 1 17:35:46 CST 2006

Brent, I think Sid is right about the cantilevered exhaust pipe causing a
vibration (oscillation) due to the pulsing and vibration generated by the
engine. Also, anytime you weld something, you get a weakening of the metal
at the edge of the weld (known as the "heat affected zone"). I changed my
straight out SS exhausts by cutting off the pipe just beyond the pipe coming
down from the rear cylinder exhaust pipe,and then expanded it to slip over
the remaining pipe. It no longer has as much leverage load to vibrate the
pipe because they are not directly connected. To make sure the end pipe
can't come off, I added a SS clamp with a dowel pin (1/8" SS socket bolt
head)(this is normal a/c exhaust slip joint attachment procedure) that goes
thru both pipes. Just to be safe, I also welded a gusset piece onto the end
pipe so I could safety wire it to the forward part of the exhaust system.
Not positive it will work, but 50 hrs, and no sign of distress.

Chuck H

p.s. Cutting off the end pipe was needed for the turbo system that will be
installed next spring.