REFLECTOR: Hardpoints for fasteners

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Thu Aug 31 22:31:41 CDT 2006

For lightweight, non-structural items like wire bundles, fuel lines and
electronic boxes, I have used aluminum bond studs and nylon insert lock
nuts.  Bob Nuckolls had a bunch of #8-32 bond studs that he had found
surplus in Wichita available cheap on his AeroElectric.com website a couple
of years ago.  I don't think he has any more right now, but Click Bond sells
similar items.

Where the application calls for a screw, rather than a stud and nut, I have
drilled a slightly oversized hole through the inner glass, removed the foam
between the inner and outer glass layers to a radius of 1/8" to 3/16" larger
than the inner hole, and filled the void with a stiff flox or microglass.
Once set, I drilled and tapped the "plug" for the size of screw to be used.

Keith Hallsten

  _____