REFLECTOR: [SPAM] Re: Nomex/Stainless

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Wed Aug 30 12:07:18 CDT 2006

It is the nature of the Stainless foil/Nomex product to wrinkle and delaminate.  This is the way it was received at Velocity - and yes, we objected to the manufacturer about both issues.
About 5-years ago Velocity changed the firewall protection materials to include Fiberfrax (which at first, came with a glue to adhere it to the firewall) and a semi-rigid 0.020" thick stainless steel shield.
The Fiberfrax glue was a real pain to apply.  Over time it was discovered that the Fiberfrax is easily secured into position without glue by using pop-rivits and the many bolts that are drilled through/into the firewall when mounting the engine.  The glue idea was dropped.
Getting back to the foil/Nomex - it's impossible not to have wrinkles in this product.  As it was described to us by the manufacturer, the fail/Nomex product is not designed for appearance - nor for protection against impact (anything that touches the blanket makes an indentation).
I agree with Kurt that it's better to have a heat shield product that looks good and is difficult to "bang up" when working on the engine.  Fiberfrax and 0.020" stainless does a good job with this.
Scott B.