REFLECTOR: Velocity Factory Support

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sat Aug 26 17:50:54 CDT 2006

Many builders are taken back by the lack of detailed information on how to go about building their Velocity.
Fears and anxieties lessen - just as Chris described - as builders become familiar with the building process.
I was kidding with our newest Head Start customer, Eric Stabell, who is doing a great job with building his Velocity SE-RG (Day #6).  Seeing body saw in hand, I told Eric that most builders are frightened (at first) to begin cutting into their fuselage - while he was having a grand time carving away.  I thought maybe he was an ice carving expert in his every day life.
The Velocity Construction Manual may not be the best example of a building guide - but it ranks high when compared to other kit aircraft manufacturers.  We do have plans for future improvements.
Please keep in mind that the Construction Manual is detailed in regards to the airframe construction - and it offers _general_ guidance with regards to electrical, instruments and avionics, painting, (non-airframe construciton).
A lot of Velocity builders have the impression that Velocity builder assistance extends to all aspects of building the aircraft - and this is simply not the case.  While we do not mind sharing the benefit of our limited knowledge about such things - the technical crew at Velocity should not be expected to instruct builders on how to tune an engine, install avionics, trouble shoot electrical problems ... you get the idea - yet we sometimes come under fire for not providing a more "complete" Construction Manual in areas that go beyond airframe parts assembly.  Chris is and always has been a terrific supporter of Velocity - so please don't that this comment as a rebuttal to his post.  I just thought it needed to be said that the Construction Manual - obviously - can not - is not meant to be a comprehensive "how to do it yourself" manual for all aspects of aircraft construction.
Hoping everyone is having fun!
Best regards,
SB