REFLECTOR: Starting Techniques

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 11:15:41 CDT 2006

Lon Hoskins and I have been running his new engine a lot lately because we have now started flight testing his new XL.  I have found that like all these big sixes they need a lot of fuel to start.  I push everything fwd and then give it enough fuel so the fuel pressure gauge reads max pressure with high boost for a good two seconds.  Then pull the throttle back to 1/4 and turn the mags on then hit the starter.  It hasn't failed yet.  It will start with no problem.
When hot, I do nothing but hit the starter with the throttle at 1/4 and low boost on.
I have found that if it didn't start right away when hot I would pull the mixture back off and throttle 1/2 and spin and push in the mixture. But the doing nothing seemed to do the best with low boost.
Try it you may like it.

By the way on the last test flight the oil pressure dropped to less then 20 lbs right after climb out.  The Blue Mountain was showing only 6 lbs.  Brought  her back and even after adjusting it, could only get 40 lbs max.  Will be taking the pressure relief valve apart tomorrow.  Looking like something stuck on the seat.

His plane climbs like a home sick angel.  Does everything the books says it should and even more.  Only problem found so far was the rudder gap was to close causing the rudder to not move to neutral  on the right making a heavy right wing. When corrected it flew straight.
Lon had done a great job on his seven year project.  I'm not sure if you all know that we now have another XL/RG flying out of Livermore, CA.

Dave

From: Jim Agnew <jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com>

Try this if you have a fuel pressure indicator.   COLD START = Throttle open about 1/4", mixture full rich, boost pump on until full pressure and close mixture boost pump off, crank engine and open mixture as soon it starts, retard throttle if necessary.  Works every time in 2-3 turns.

Jim

James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying