REFLECTOR: Starting Techniques

Jack Prock jackprock at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 00:44:43 CDT 2006

Many years ago when I had just purchased my first plane I was having trouble starting every time.
My friendly A&P showed me a technique that I have used on many engines and it always works.

Mixture LEAN, boost pump on (or prime as normal with plunger) throttle one quarter. Hit the starter.
The engine will catch after a few turns, when it does, push Mixture Full Rich and throttle to idle.