REFLECTOR: Pitch trim ( was Fixed vs RG)

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Tue Aug 22 00:37:24 CDT 2006

Well, I adjusted it once already.  The guy who built it had two
different sets of holes where the pitch trim motor assembly could be
mounted.  I took delivery of the plane with it installed in the lower
set of holes.  I quickly realized I needed more 'down' trim so I moved
it to the upper set of holes.  This improved things quite a bit but
still left a little to be desired.  I definitely have more than enough
'up' trim.  I asked the guy after I bought it if he'd ever noticed the
lack of 'down' trim and he said 'no'.  But he did replace the battery
right before he sold it to me and I wonder if the new battery weighs
substantially less than the old one.

Most people have told me to set the elevator about one inch below the
canard trailing edge for takeoff pitch trim with one person in front.  I
always do this but immediately after liftoff I have to push the stick
forward and start trimming down to keep the canard below the horizon.

--
Dave Philipsen
STDFG