REFLECTOR: Fixed vs RG

Kent Murley kent at orbital.aero
Mon Aug 21 20:38:12 CDT 2006

I have an XL RG but wish I had the FG. RGs require too much time or
money to keep maintained in order to gain 12ish knots.

I have had no problem remembering to put the gear down because fear of
embarrassment is a good motivator for me. At least so far. I'll bet a
pair of distractions could easily nab me, though (I do the GUMPS check
again on final). I have no speed brake so I am forced to preplan my
arrival. In order to fit in the traffic flow I need to slow early to get
down to 120 knots prior to downwind which makes it easy to just drop the
gear then.

I always get alarmed on short final, though, because I have my Chelton
set to give me an audible "Check Gear" when it senses approaching a
runway at low altitude. No matter how many landings I do my heart skips
a beat during the alert because I never expect it. Each time I swear I'm
going to reprogram it, but I never get around to it.

None of my pilot buddies have planes that cruise near Velocity speeds so
no-one, especially me, gets to see if my plane looks cool with the gear
up. On the ground the FGs with pants look the coolest, especially with
the cabin doors open.

Last week I got shimmy on the nose gear for the first time during a
landing. I had not tightened the fork nut for over 10 hours/15 landings,
so it was my own fault. Flew today with no problem. I will say that
during my shimmy event I had slowed too much to get the canard to fly
again (full back elevator got me nothing) and so I got aggressive on the
brakes to no avail. Once below 35 knots it quit. If I had a fixed gear
I'd surely mount those pants with no shortcuts.

I'm actually impressed with the landing gear. I've done some funky
landings and even without carbon layers my main gear have been fine.

Kent Murley