REFLECTOR: Fixed vs RG

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Mon Aug 21 17:47:28 CDT 2006

Hi Dave,

Even though I have absolutely no experience with the FGs, I'd have to
agree with you to.  I don't necessarily think that it's a big safety
issue with the RGs.  It just seems that a person would devote a lot of
time to upkeep and repair.  Even if the gear could be made more reliable
everyone seems to agree that it's not a matter of *if* but *when* you'll
have a gear-up landing.  Some of the guys on the other canard forums
even joke about being members of the "Nose Draggers Elite" or the "Nose
Draggers Club".  If I had a retractable and *ever* had a gear-up
landing, I can almost guarantee that my wife would never fly with me again.

Anyway, I got interested when you started talking about the custom wheel
pants.  I've got a STD FG  and the wheel pants are getting a little beat
up.  I am not the builder nor do I have much experience with composites
and building.  But, I was thinking it might be a nice starter project to
build a new set of pants.  Is the design of your pants available from
the designer?  Do you have a picture of them?

--
Dave Philipsen
STDFG