REFLECTOR: Fixed vs RG

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 17:00:15 CDT 2006

Al,

I don't remember why it came up, but I upgraded the
bolts a few years ago on my XL which was a 1996-1997
kit. Doing so seems like cheap insurance even in a
SERG.

Here's the gotcha: It turns out the heavier duty bolts
the factory sent me were not true. Apparently this is
fairly common with this size bolt. Instead of just
sending them back I tried to make them work.

In the end I had to find truer bolts as well as
replace the sleeves in the gear legs that the bolts go
through...

Maybe you can just determine the current bolt's
specs/grade and find a local supplier. That way you
could accept/reject on the spot.

Pat