REFLECTOR: Fixed vs RG

len.baxter at gm.com len.baxter at gm.com
Mon Aug 21 14:26:51 CDT 2006

Dave

I appreciate your input......  What kind of problems have you experenced??
Its not too late for me to change to a XLFG  ( my order for an XLRG is to
be ready in November)

Len Baxter

__________________

I have to agree with you 100%.  The time spent on the RG system on my XL/RG
has cost me over 90% of the work done on this plane.  The gear system has
so many problems with it that it's not worth it.  I just flew my plane back
from being grounded out in the middle of  nowhere with gear problems that I
even flew it home with the main gear down for 3.1 hrs just to get it
home. It would have taken me 2.5 hrs to get there with the gear
up.   Fixing it in the field is no fun.  Of course that was with, now a fix
pitch prop as well.  Ka-ching.

I have over $5000 spent related to the landing gear in just getting it
home.  Counting airfares, tooling, parts, hotels, fuel, hangars,shipping
props,etc.  No the retract is not worth it.  Yes it looks cool but it is
not worth it.  There I think I have said that enough.

I love the way the plane flies.  With a gear up or gear down and locked, it
makes no difference.  Just a little slower with them down.  Looking with
hindsight down and locked with pants is much better.

First related to the gear system, I think the quality of the parts is so
different you can't count on them fitting the same as the part you
removed.  So doing makes it a major task and usually a major modification
to the structure.  Once I get through these gear issues, I hope I will have
my problems behind related to my plane.  But for those still thinking on
which plane to build, I would recommend the fixed gear model now.  At least
till they get the RG problems resolved.

By the way I just found  a crack in one of the welds on the new nose gear I
installed last year.  Once again there is a quality control issue here.  No
hard landings on the nose at all since it was installed.  May have been
side loading related to the failed main gear.  I don't know.  Just to let
every one out there know.  For safety sake let's cover these issues.  I'm
not just trying to vent, I'm just want those working these issues, they are
not alone.

Dave

From: "velocityxlfg" <velocityxl at fastmail.fm>