REFLECTOR: Engine backfiring

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 17 06:33:51 CDT 2006

And look for any other sources of intake air leaks.

We had a 172 that was doing something very similar at idle - a pop every
once in awhile when idling.  We found one of the rubber sleeves that joins
the intake runner at the oil sump to the runner goes to the cylinder
mispositioned.  This rubber sleeve doesn't exist on our IO 360's but any
leak in an intake runner to the cylinder head gaskets or servo mount to the
oil pan can do the same thing.  It was a very small air leak, but just
enough to make it pop every 30 seconds to a minute.

Ronnie