REFLECTOR: Engine backfiring

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 23:44:10 CDT 2006

Dave,

I had a Mooney M20E that had this engine and flew it for 15 years and about
600 hours. This engine is known for this problem. The first thing I would
look at is; there is a 45 degree AN fitting on the bottom of your engine
that is supposed to be your airbox drain. This 45 degree fitting is supposed
to have a check valve internal to this fitting. You would never know it is
installed unless you know that it is there. This is the problem, most people
think it is a standard AN fitting and will install a new fitting without the
check valve at overhaul. With the check valve missing your engine sees this
as an air induction leak and will idle rough and make the backfiring worse.
A easy way to tell if your valve is working properly is to put your finger
over the drain line with the engine running and see if you engine lowers its
idle speed. I have also seen these check valves stuck open and just needs
cleaning. I tried to order a new check valve when I found that mine had been
changed out to a standard fitting after fighting this problem for 8 years. I
never could get a good part number to order one and had to make my own. If
yours is missing or gone bad I can tell you how to make one. Or you can
install a PVC valve inline with your drain and it will work just as well.
The PVC valve should close as your engine sucks air out of your airbox. This
valve was supposed to drain the excess fuel that drains out of you injectors
and into your airbox when you shut down your engine and suck closed when you
start your engine.

Andy Ellzey